Special Uniform Information
Uniform Guidelines for 2017-2018
The Kennedy Catholic High School uniform is designed to develop and to promote a sense of professional attire that allows for active, uninterrupted participation in the vibrant school day. The end result needs to be a comfortable fit and a professionally neat appearance. The uniform polo, vest, sweater, and fleece must have the school uniform logo. The uniform fleece is quarter zip.
Girls’ Proper Dress Uniform
- Main apparel consists of the khaki uniform kilt, white blouse with collar, and school fleece or school uniform sweater. The properly fitted kilt is to fall at the student’s knee.
- Leg-wear includes only opaque, solid (navy or white), non-design tights. (Leggings are not permitted. Note: After all uniform requirements have been consistently met and checked, a student becomes eligible to include beige, non-design stockings in the leg-wear options.)
- Footwear includes only black or brown shoes with a substantial sole and foot support. (The following are not allowed during uniform hours at school: platform shoes, open-toe shoes, sandals, flip flops, sneakers or sneaker-like shoes, moccasins, slippers or slipper-like footwear, footwear with a fuzzy or faux-fur interior, or extra color/bling on the shoe).
- Senior girls are required to wear a white or solid pastel, button-down, long sleeve, business style blouse with a collar, and the senior blazer (information about fittings will be provided after the start of school).
Girls’ Proper Casual Uniform
- All of the above remains in effect, with the substitution of the navy uniform polo shirt (long or short sleeve) for the blouse. The fleece/sweater becomes optional according to individual comfort/choice. (A plain, white, short sleeve tee shirt that does not extend below the uniform polo may be worn under the polo for comfort/warmth. Note: When all uniform requirements have been consistently met and checked, a student becomes eligible to add navy or white knee-high socks to the leg-wear options).
Boys’ Proper Dress Uniform
- Main apparel consists of khaki, Docker style pants, plain brown or black leather dress belt, white long-sleeve oxford button down shirt, business tie, and school uniform sweater, sweater vest, or fleece. Pants are to be properly fitted at the waist and should not bunch up at the ankle.
- Footwear includes only brown or black, polish-able, leather dress shoes. Sperry type boat shoes may be worn, but only brown leather ones are permitted. (Absolutely no black sneakers, walking shoes, slippers, or suede shoes will be permitted).
- Senior boys wear a white or blue button-down, long sleeve, Oxford shirt with a business tie and the senior blazer (information about fittings will be provided after the start of school).
Boys’ Proper Casual Uniform
- All of the above remains in effect, with the substitution of the navy uniform polo shirt (long or short sleeve) for the oxford shirt. A plain white, short sleeve tee shirt that does not extend below the navy polo is to be worn beneath the polo.
Boys’ and Girls’ Gym Uniforms
- Boys and girls are required to wear a Kennedy Catholic tee shirt or sweatshirt and a pair of Kennedy Catholic shorts or sweatpants. These items may be purchased from the school store. Students may wear items which they have received from a Kennedy Catholic athletic team.
General Uniform Guidelines
- The dates for the changes between the causal and dress uniforms will be determined only by the administration and will be communicated to the KCHS community by the administration.
- Students will wear the uniform when representing KCHS at off-campus functions.
Hats are to be removed upon entering the building.
- A student who arrives at school in non-uniform attire will remain in the main office until a parent arrives with proper attire. A student who is not in proper uniform will not be permitted to attend classes until the situation is remedied.
- Students are expected to be properly groomed in order to attend classes; anyone in need of grooming attention will address it in the health office. (This includes, but is not limited to, facial shaving or nail polish removal, as needed).
- Boys are to be clean shaven. Hair must be cut, neatly combed, may not hang over the shirt collar, ear or face, and may not be bushy around the side. The dean will determine whether a haircut is appropriate and the inappropriate haircut must be remedied.
- Sweatshirts are not to be worn during the uniform school hours except during gym class.
- At no time is a long sleeve shirt to be worn under a short sleeve polo.
- The following are not permitted: fad haircuts, bleached or dyed hair, choker chains or choker necklaces, chains hanging from pants pockets, tattoos, face, ear or tongue or other body piercings (with the exception of a small pair of earrings for the girls), excessive or inappropriate makeup, jewelry, or nail polish.
- Camelback backpacks or any other thermos type backpack are not permitted during the school day.
Availability of Uniform Items
- Flynn & O’Hara: Khaki kilt, Kennedy Catholic uniform polo shirt, sweater vest
- Kennedy Catholic School Store: gym uniform, school locks, spirit wear, limited supply of girls’ navy or white tights
- Local retail stores: white blouse, girls’ leg-wear, white oxford shirts, khaki pants, shoes
To ensure that your daughter has a properly-fitted kilt for the start of the 2017-18 school year, the following information was provided by Flynn & O’Hara in order to help meet your kilt uniform-ordering needs. They may be contacted directly by phone at (800) 962-4816, or online at www.flynnohara.com.
For the torso: It is possible to use a measurement either around the waist or around the top of the hip. Please choose the one that provides the better, more comfortable fit. For the length: The XL length provides an extra two inches. For example, a kilt with 19” length will change to 21” length if ordered as an XL. Kilts may be put on Special Order for up to 23” in length. This type of order may take 4 to 6 weeks to fill.
The end result needs to be a comfortable fit and a professionally neat appearance, with the kilt length ending no more than two inches above the knee. This allows for active, uninterrupted participation in our academic activities at school.