Criteria for Christian Community Service Hours
The Christian Community Service Program is modeled after the Spiritual and Corporal Works of Mercy. Though not all hours are required to be apostolic in nature, this type of service is strongly encouraged.
- Hours which are submitted for the program must take place outside of the normal school day.
- Students cannot receive compensation for work done/service provided.
- Familial obligations, while laudable and true acts of service, may not be submitted for credit as part of the Christian Community Service Program.
- Service hours should be pre-approved either:
1) by being on the list of approved community service projects which appears on the Christian Community Service Website (found below) or
2) submitting a project for approval to the Office of Campus Ministry through the fields to the right.
- Students are encouraged to complete 30 hours/year, so that service truly becomes a part of their life and helps them to grow in generosity and the spirit of serving Christ in others.
- Beginning in the 2017-2018 school year, students will be required to complete a minimum of 60 hours by the end of sophomore year and an additional minimum of 60 hours during the course of Junior and Senior year for a total of 120+ hours during their high school career.
- Students are encouraged to complete more than the minimum amount of hours
- Service options should also serve the KCHS community as well as the greater community in which they live.
Once hours have been completed, they should be logged on the Christian Community Service Form and submitted to the Dean of Men or Dean of Women accordingly. They will confirm that the hours have been approved and log them in the student’s file.